';
Powered by Blogger.

My Moma done tol' me

I remember, as a child, my mother would say to me: you can make anything your eyes can see.  She thought I had artistic talent and encouraged me to try my hand at different artsy endeavors.  It always made me feel glowy, knowing she thought I had it in me.   Later in life, my mother and I, would often go to art shows, galleries, craft shows, and every time  I saw something I liked, she would say: oh you could make that, even better!  While I knew she meant this to be a compliment, I just wanted to buy something beautiful for myself, not make it! 


Well, the belief in my ability to make what my eyes can see,  has stayed with me and I must admit, it has become somewhat of a challenge to see how true my mother's statement could be.  So the other day I received the Sundance Catalog.  It has a Western, high end, handmade type of vibe, with some beautiful items and some, well, overpriced items... 



Case in point, I came across these earrings priced at $240.  I appreciate the time, the thought, the materials put into these earrings, but $240??  So, with a few items I had laying around, I decided to make my version of them.

I collected all the beads, stones and findings I thought would look good in my version of the earrings.  I put them on headpins, and did some wire wrapping to make the links. 


Then I took a piece of chain and attached it to earwires.  Along the chain I attached all the little doodads I created and voila!  My version of the Sundance earrings at a fraction of the price.


Now, I'll go call  my mother and tell her all about them...

Anonymous –   – (March 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM)  

As always, your art is beautiful.

- Mary

Post a Comment

About This Blog

©Orna Willis
All images, text, and content on this site are the sole property of Orna Willis and may not be used, copied or transmitted without the express consent of Orna Willis. Any other inquiries please email me at orna@ornadesign.com

Blog Archive