';
Powered by Blogger.

Doodling my way to a design.

So many times I've been asked how I start creating a new piece of needlepoint and it has forced me to go back and figure out what the process is. (I talk some about it on the podcast HERE). 
One of the ways I begin a new design comes from a new interest, or infatuation if it really gets bad. If you've seen my new pieces of jewelry you will see feathers coming into play.  I'm feeling them.  I'm fascinated with the elegance of those "hair" like things, actually called "barbs" and how they line up beautifully side by side.  How you can stroke them and they move and then fall right back into place. How each of them is colored and how together they make up a whole other color story. 


But the feather thing has also found it's way to my needlepoint.  At this point I'm doodling.  Looking for how I'd like to represent those feathers, what I think I can do with thread that will be a new way of expressing those amazing delicate creatures.  Because they may seem delicate, they may blow away in the wind, but they can do the most magical thing, they make a bird FLY!

A feather I used in one of my earrings

Anonymous –   – (March 9, 2017 at 4:22 PM)  

Oh, I love your doodling! I doodle and play about with stitching before actually settling into a definite stitching strategy for my designs, too.

I love the feathers!

Looking forward to listening to your podcast!

Mary

Mary Corbet  – (March 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM)  

Sorry, Orna - That previous comment wasn't meant to be anonymous! :-)

Orna Willis  – (March 9, 2017 at 11:09 PM)  

Thank you, Mary! Great compliment coming from you!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

©Orna Willis
All images, text, and content on this site are the sole property of Orna Willis and may not be used, copied or transmitted without the express consent of Orna Willis. Any other inquiries please email me at orna@ornadesign.com

Blog Archive