';
Powered by Blogger.

Fibers and Threads, I need your suggestions.

Have you ever tried to Google: Fiber Thread what is the difference ?  I was surprised to see eight entries having to do with computers before any entry about our fibers and threads!  (Fibers. A fiber is a unit of execution that must be manually scheduled by the application. Fibers run in the context of the threads that schedule them. Each thread ... Blah Blah Blah)
Anyway, I was going to talk about threads that I use in my designs.  After 16 (+ -) years of stitching I've pretty much come up with my regulars: 

  • Caron Collection Watercolours and Waterlilies  
  • Gloriana Stranded Silk, Princess Perle and Princess Perle Petite 
  • Planet Earth Stranded Silk
  • Threadworx Overdye Floss
  • Needlepoint Inc. Stranded Silk
  • Edmar Lola, Frost and Nova
  • Rainbow Gallery Neon Rays, Neon Rays+, Very Velvet, Hi-Lights, Pebbly Perle
  • Access Commodities Trebizond, Soie Perlee, Bijoux, Accentuate
  • DMC Floss and Perle Variations
  • Kreinik 1/16" Ribbon, # 4, #8 and #12 Braid (late addition, thank Jane for bringing that to my attention!)
There are a few more here and there but these are the mainstay.  As a designer and a provider of kitted designs, I must try to take into account that I need to stock and store any threads I use. Quite frankly that means I  need to have lots of money and lots of good storage solutions.  There is a limit to both so I try to restrain from incorporating all the other wonderful threads out in the marketplace nowadays. I don't feel I am limiting my creative abilities, I have many, many options and my storage space is busting at the seams. 

 















However...  if you had to suggest one, (OK, maybe two), threads that you highly recommend, ones that have this special quality like no other, what would you suggest? I might be able to s t r e t c h my space just a little bit more...

Waiting to hear from you 
xo
Orna



The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure  – (October 25, 2013 at 6:46 AM)  

Kreinik metallics. No line of metallics comes in so many finished and sizes. Great stuff!

jhm  – (October 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM)  

Since you like Needlepoint Inc silks, you should try their Northern lights line - overdyed silks! WOnderful to work with.

JHM
http://needleworkerssamplings.blogspot.com/

Orna Willis  – (October 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM)  

OH my, Jane, I forgot to add them in! Of course I use Kreinik, they are wonderful! I'm going to edit the entry and add them, thanks!

Orna Willis  – (October 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM)  

I have used them once, Northern Lights. The colors remind me a bit of Threadworx, but of course they are silk...

lewmew  – (October 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM)  

I am going out on a limb here and saying - I think you list (with the Kreink addition) is perfect. It's varied, but accessible enough that the increasing number of us who have limited access to LNS can find it all in one online shop, is used in enough other projects to warrant buying it and covers a wide variety of textures and looks.

Orna Willis  – (October 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM)  

That's great to hear because I do take into account that many of you prefer buying instructions for designs, use your stash and buy the rest at your LNS. Glad to know!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

©Orna Willis
All images, text, and content on this site are the sole property of Orna Willis and may not be used, copied or transmitted without the express consent of Orna Willis. Any other inquiries please email me at orna@ornadesign.com

Blog Archive